Friday, September 09, 2005

Chapter 2:The Rain Dance at Kolkata

After getting my release letters from Silvassa, I gleefully went off to Kolkata for my sales stint. This was a big relief from the factory stint that I had got bored of and was looking forward to having a great time. The first few days in the city were simply awesome and for someone whose basic assumption in life happens to be – “have food; will live”, Kolkata is the place to be. Anyway, that was where I made the biggest blunder of my life. You see I have come to realize over the period of this past 9 months that gods have set a certain threshold value of happiness for me and whenever I cross that limit, they let me have it. So it was that on a bright sunny pleasant October morning, I made my way to the Ballygunj market to sell soaps and detergents with my very congenial TSI. The fellow in question was a very pleasant looking, happy go lucky chap who made my life very easy and used to give a good overall perspective of things happening in the market place. That day we finished our rounds of the market a little early and after visiting the RS point, I decided that it was time that I got some work done back at the Branch. So I picked up my bag and baggage and made my way to the office. At this precise, the weather god found the window of opportunity that he had been waiting for and as I stepped out of the Taxi to enter the branch, there started a storm that just came out of the blue. Storms I can handle, but couple them with drops with the ability to make a hole in the bucket that they fall in are a little out of my league. Couple them with the small fact that there was some construction work going on just at the gate of the branch which would make me take a ghastly detour and you have a weapon to bring Saurabh Dey down on his knees and start crying profusely. Having made that detour and looking worse than a street mongrel from a roadside puddle, I sought refuge in the Security lodge at the gate. As I looked towards my destination some 50 meters from me, I could see this huge shade running all across the length of the building that would provide the perfect cover for me to reach the branch main gate. I am sure that you must have by now come to expect that certain piece of inconspicuous factual data that turns day into night and in my case opportunity into disaster. Well here it is ….. there was construction work going on under that shade and there was no way I could make it across without getting more dripping wet. Well it was a good hour later that I emerged from the security shed having resolved to get across come hell or high water. I grit my teeth and with tremendous amount of determination made it across the wall of rain that separated me from my work.Does this chapter end here? You bet whatever part of your body it does not. Not without the last and biggest irony of the event. As soon as I stepped into the doormat to wipe my muddy feet clean, the sun came out smiling from behind the clouds. No, I used the wrong verb in the last sentence. The Sun wasn’t smiling, it was smirking. Yes that’s right. And the clouds departed as if now that they had got me wet to the maximum possible, they had done all that they had to do and their mission in life was accomplished. Do I need to say anything further to make you believe that the Weather God indeed has some burning agenda with me?

No comments: