Sunday, September 11, 2005

A Nobel for Instant Noodles

This goes out to the man who came up first with the idea for instant noodles. Buddy, you are God’s greatest gift to a Bachelor who has to stay alone. I am writing this to acknowledge your genius, your absolute brilliance and want to tell you that they committed the greatest injustice by not awarding you with a Nobel. So what if there was no category perfect enough for this particular invention to qualify in, I am sure if a little effort had been made, all the Nobels in that year would have been bagged by this gem of a discovery. I bow to thee o great one for saving my life and giving me the confidence that I require to step into the kitchen. So what if the only award that this product ever got were a thousand clones and a measly industry worth a few billions, in my book you are always the biggest winner.
How many bachelors have confessed to coming home to a bowl of steaming hot instant noodles and having the best sated tummy experience of their lives? How many days have I myself spent curling up on the sofa after a hard day savoring a bowl of my favorite food in the whole wide world? I shudder to think what I would have done in a world without this particular product. Not only would I have been forced to eat out every single day of my existence alone, I might even have had to go the whole distance and learn the actual art of mixing flour and rice and all things nice to cook myself an eatable meal! May I once again take this moment to kneel down to my man’s (no offense, it could very well have been a woman! Still trying to find out the trivia related to the origins. Would be very interested in knowing the same) greatness.
How do you show your reverence to something that holds such a wide variety of possibilities? This amazing product is a playground for both the gourmet maestro and moi – the bumbling idiot in the culinary arena. While the former may decide to accentuate the delicacy with something a la extraordinaire, I am quite content to add a few scrambled eggs and I am damn sure that at the end of the day, the levels of satisfaction from devouring the end result would not be very different in either case. If ever there was some truth in that story about Ambrosia, I am nominating that this as the closest cousin of the same. God you might be reveling in your nectar and stuff but we on earth have our very own supply of divinity. It comes packaged in a flow wrap along with sachets of flavoring agents and all it requires is warm water and 2 minutes of stirring on the stove.
I would like to end this by saying that whoever it was that came up with this amazing idea was someone who understood bachelors better than anyone else in the world. And if he/she is listening, I would like to tell him/her that he/she brings a smile to millions of singletons like me all around the world everyday. If it were in my power, you my man would have a NOBEL for your efforts any and every year possible. May god bless you for all eternity. Period.

No comments: